Monday, March 29, 2010

Week in review- Monday, March 29th

Happy Monday! Sorry I am a day late with this week's post. I am sitting here debating whether I should brave the elements and try to do my workout outside (which I prefer) before a storm hits or venture off to the gym!

I had a good workout this week at Sac Fit. I did 9.5 miles. For the first half, I was discouraged again and then I got distracted talking to somebody and was able to get back into the walk mentally. Our coach had us run up the hills and run it in at the end. It actually felt good to change the muscles up a bit here and there. Believe it or not, it seems easier to run up the hills sometimes then walk them! I did stay off on the left side of the path on the decomposed granite/dirt, which eliminates some of the jarring. I also discovered that wearing longer running pants with crew socks keeps the rocks out of my shoes where capris and short socks do not. I think it's that time of year to pull out the shoe covers/gators and get serious!

Late last night, (while trying to catch up on laundry) I was watching an episode of Ruby that I previously recorded earlier that evening. Weight loss and exercise reality shows fascinate me. For those of you not familiar with it, Ruby is a reality show on TLC that documents Ruby's experience as she works to lose a significant amount of weight. On last night's show, Ruby was struggling to avoid those dreaded weight loss plateaus and speed up her weight loss again. Her doctor suggested she make five changes and see if that made a difference. It sounded like an interesting experiment to me, so below is my list. Whether you need to lose weight or have a different goal altogether, this may be something to try. What is your list??

1. No eating after 7:30PM (Sometimes work dinners and other special occasions make this out of the question but this will be a good general rule! Instead, I will make sure to have a well balanced filling dinner, with whole grains and veggies)!

2. No double dessert days (This is the hard one! That includes those darn Lara bars I am addicted to! This means adding one "dessert" to my little food bag for the day and when it is gone it is gone)!

3. Eliminate after dinner snacks (If, before 7:30, I really need a snack it's only fruit or plain popcorn for me)!

4. Use the stairs at work all the time (For those of you who work with me, you know those narrow slippery stairs can be a challenge)!

5. Attend all three mid-week workouts! (Whether it is late or not or after another event, these must be the priority)!

Wish me luck as I try to include these changes in my day to day routine!

Product of the week: This product may sound a little girlie but anyone can use it! Even if you have good socks and shoes, some people are prone to those nasty and unattractive calluses. Although I love a good pedicure, I am not willing to risk having any issues in the weeks before a big race! As a "semi-product junkie" I have tried a number of things and the only solution to soften and eliminate those calluses is the lavender & eucalyptus foot creme by Lather. They have a few stores (one in Pasadena, CA) so most of you will have to order this off the Lather web site. It really is worth it. There is a scrub available too but the creme alone does the trick if you use it every night! I used it after my 9.5 miles on Saturday and it really made my feet feel better even after just one use!

Have a great week/workout!

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment