Saturday, May 22, 2010

Week in review- The Wild Way!

I have to admit I have been on a little bit of a walking hiatus since the half marathon three weeks ago, but with the SF marathon just around the bend the hiatus must end this week! Square Peg Running did compete in a unique race last weekend. It was a new event added to a local 5K and 10k race. It was appropriately called the Wild Way. It was a 2 mile course consisting of running (or walking) and all kinds of military like obstacles. We crawled under ropes and ran over logs. We did pushups and jumped hurdles and ran through the trails. We climbed the fences of the local rodeo and ended our journey running through the zoo. It was definitely a unique event!

I ran a portion of the course and did pretty well. I have to admit I felt I was either on an episode of The Biggest Loser or in boot camp! Lara did better than I did on the hurdles and running through the tires. I thought I had mastered running over the logs and the mud but the tip of my right shoe splashed into the mud as I plotted my strategy to run up the hill at the end of the log obstacle. Good thing I wore those old running shoes!

The event had a few challenges but for a first year portion (added to a 27 year old event) they did a good job! The course was well marked (once we got started) and the volunteers along the way were enthusiastic. I have to think the high-school boys manning the push ups station enjoyed telling us to all drop and give them 10. Despite a few near injuries, I think we will both end up doing the race again next year!

Our next Square Peg running event is the Nike fitness festival and then it will be back to Sac Fit! We hope to squeeze a "dry run" of part of the SF Marathon course before we start to Sac Fit so we know how to appropriately train for the hills. I also hope to get in a few good workout this week. Hopefully the crazy weather behaves this week so I don't have to brave the treadmill at the gym!

As always, have a great week. Don't forget to run your own race!

-Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment